AFRAN Call for Projects 2017
Australian-French Association for Research and Innovation
Call for Projects
France and Australia share a strong commitment to scientific excellence, illustrated by the number, breadth and quality of the collaboration existing between researchers from our two countries. Associations and Networks seek to federate these researchers and foster the creation and strengthening of scientific partnerships. Benefiting from both the experience of a dedicated board of researchers and volunteer members (AFAS ACT) and the network and the resources of the Embassy of France to Australia (FRAN), AFRAN has become a central platform supporting partnerships of excellence between France and Australia.
In 2016, AFRAN offered grants to members of the Association to support the organisation of workshops and other activities aimed specifically at creating structured collaborations within the perimeter of AFRAN and/or between France and Australia.
In 2017, the association will offer funding up to AUD 5,000 (five thousand Australian dollars) towards logistics and/or travel costs for selected projects.
This program only funds projects initiated by members of AFRAN. As a consequence, this program does not consider applications for participation in external conferences and seminars, nor applications for individual travel to a partner’s laboratory, unless it is indispensible for the development of such aforementioned workshops or activities.
This program will be organised annually.
Applications are open to researchers and other professionals of any nationality and seniority level who are members of AFRAN. To be eligible, a project must:
- Be open (within reason and depending on the purpose) to all interested members of AFRAN to attend, AND
- Aim at creating structured scientific and innovation collaboration within AFRAN perimeters and/or between France and Australia.
Laureates of this program will not be eligible to reapply for funding for 3 years after the year of the grant awarded.
All scientific fields, including Humanities and Social Sciences are open and coordinators of eligible projects involving French overseas territories are encouraged to apply. Future editions of this program may target specific scientific fields based on the strategic priorities of the French and Australian governments.
Projects will be ranked by a selection committee based on the following criteria, presented here in order of highest to lowest priority:
- Demonstrated potential for the project to foster structured scientific collaborations within the French and Australian research and innovation communities. Projects fostering such collaborations within Australia are eligible.
- Demonstrated potential for the project to involve a broad range of partners and individuals. Applications for individual travel to a partner’s laboratory will not be considered, unless the application clearly demonstrates travel is indispensible for the development of such aforementioned workshops or activities.
- Demonstrated capacity of the project to provide responses to major societal issues facing Australia and France
- Demonstrated scientific merit of the project, as well as excellence and motivation of the involved teams and individuals.
Terms of funding
- A total of AUD 15,000 (fifteen thousand Australian dollars) is made available for this call. Submitted projects must be completed before 1st June 2018.
- Funding of up to AUD 5,000 (five thousand Australian dollars) can be requested per project. It is the responsibility of the project coordinator to secure any additional funding that may be required to complete the event.
- A selection committee appointed by AFRAN and the Embassy of France will review the applications and select successful applications as per the criteria above.
- AFRAN will notify each project coordinator of the outcome of their applications and the amount allocated to successful projects.
- Upon acceptance of the funding (if selected), the project coordinator agrees to:
- Include a mention of the support provided by AFRAN on all communication materials used to promote the event
- Provide AFRAN with said communication materials one month before the selected activity date. These materials will be disseminated through AFRAN communication channels with mentions of the procedures required to participate in the events.
- Provide AFRAN with a report on the outcome of her/his project no later than 1 month after completion of the event. This report will be made public and advertised through the AFRAN communication channels.
Applications must be submitted by using the form : AFRAN application form 2017 April
The application form and all supporting documents (preferably in PDF format) must be submitted before the application deadline by email to: email@example.com
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
- Call for projects opens: 20 April 2017
- Deadline for applications: 1st June 2017
- Results announced: 20 June 2017
- Earliest date for project start: 1 July 2017
- Latest date for project completion: 1 June 2018
Dr. Katherine Daniell
|Embassy of France
Ms. Nathalie Simenel-Amar
Service Science and Technology
02 6216 0139